The Cold War was a period of intense political pressure and turmoil that affected a variety of different countries including Germany, Russia and the United States. The name comes about from the fact that it wasn’t actually a war in the sense that there wasn’t any real fighting between the countries. It continued until well past the 1980s, with all sides using sneaking tactics in terms of espionage.
This was before the use of surveillance cameras, but countries did their own way of spying. Countries sent spies into other countries where they set them up with new identities and backgrounds. Those individuals assimilated themselves into the culture and passed along secrets. They also used emerging technologies as a way of spying on their perceived enemies.
Cold War Resources:
- Wiretap Debate : discusses the issue of wiretapping during the Cold War.
- The Cold War : provides resources on the Cold War, including espionage.
- FBI Surveillance Team Reveals Tricks of the Trade : focuses on the tactics used by the FBI during this era.
- Sound Surveillance System : looks at the process the United States government used in tracking submarines and underwater vessels.
- The Cold War : gives a history of the War.
- Cold War Espionage : mentions tactics used by different governments to keep tabs on others.
- Cold War Spies : lists the major and minor spies working during this era.
- Cold War Spy Testimony Revealed : discusses the unsealing of the Rosenberg testimony.
- Secret Cold War Spy Satellite Program : provides information on a top secret spy satellite program used during the Cold War.
- Cold War Spy Plane Found in Baltic Sea : provides details on the spy plane uncovered during modern times.
- Cold War Spying : details the different types of spy equipment used during the Cold War.
- CIA Unveils Cold War Spy Plane : discusses a plane used by the U.S. during the Cold War.
- Secrets of Cold War Revealed : discusses the invisible ink messages used by the Germans.
- The Cold War Museum : museum dedicated to the history of the Cold War, with information on espionage.
- Cold War : looks at the Cold War from the perspective of other countries.
- The Cold War : offers information on the history of the Cold War and the major events that took place.
- Cold War : focuses on the military involvement during this era.
- Inside Cold War : BBC production detailing the major events during the Cold War.
- Cold War Figures : offers biographies of major figures from this time period.
- 10,000 East Germans Spied for the West : discusses how German spies worked for the other side.
While security camera systems weren’t used, countries did use planes and satellite for their spying needs. Many of these ideas were kept secret for years and only revealed in the last decade. Satellites were stationed directly over important operational bases and recorded the conversations of those inside. The Cold War faded during the 1970s, but reemerged in 1979 when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. The Cold War officially ended in 1991 when the former Soviet Union disbanded, breaking into a number of different countries.