Crime is on the rise all around the world, but certain groups are attempting to stop this problem. These groups are working to reduce the number of crimes and hopefully prevent crime. The groups exist on the national level, state level and local level. The national groups hope to set an example for everyone, the state groups hope to reduce crime across the state, and local groups are concerned with the crimes happening in their own backyards.
National Crime Prevention Groups
- McGruff : national organization devoted to helping kids learn more about preventing crime and staying safe.
- National Crime Prevention Council : offers information on protecting kids and keeping children safe.
- Family Violence Prevention Fund : national organization with an emphasis on keeping families safe and saving children from abuse.
- D.A.R.E : organization known as Drug Abuse Resistance Education to teach people the dangers of drug abuse.
- Keep America Beautiful : national organization with a slant on keeping the environment clean through recycling and other programs.
- Graffiti Hurts : organization devoted to cleaning up graffiti and showing teens the problems that graffiti causes.
- Youth Crime Watch of America : nationwide organization devoted to helping kids learn more about preventing crime in their local community.
State Crime Prevention Groups
- Pennsylvania Crime Prevention : organization devoted to reducing crime in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Arkansas Crime Information Center : provides information on crime in the state of Arkansas, including statistics and facts relating to statewide crime.
- Kentucky Crime Prevention Coalition : an organization that attempts to reduce and prevent crime in Kentucky.
- Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services : offers information on crime in the state of Virginia and ways for citizens to reduce crime.
- Safe State : a California based group that attempts to reduce crime in the state.
- Texas Crime Prevention Association : Texas based crime prevention organization.
- Ohio Crime Prevention Association : organization funded to prevent crime in the state of Ohio.
Local Crime Prevention Groups
- The Allstate Foundation : organization that accepts donations and sends them back into the community to prevent crimes.
- National Association of Town Watch : association that details local town watches and crime prevention groups.
- Neighborhood Watch Institute : organizes and offers helpful suggestions on organizing a crime watch in the local community.
- Morningside Crime Watch : a crime watch organization based out of Muncie, Indiana.
- Virginia Beach Crime Solvers : a local group based in Virginia Beach that attempts to reduce and prevent crimes against local citizens.
- Minneapolis Crime Prevention : Minneapolis based group that works to prevent crime in the city.
Local crime prevention groups are especially adept at deterring crime. These groups teach children the right way to behave, which reduces the chances that they’ll grow up to take criminal actions. They also teach those in the community how to reduce their own chance of being a victim of crime. Locals learn how to report crimes they see occurring and take steps to prevent crime. These groups often work better than the ones at the national level do.